3 – 4 January 2020

Morning report from Morgan…..

“Well  after a nice brekkie this morning we hit the race track attacking the endless twists and turns. Unfortunately the roads close to Kigali are really well travelled but not upgraded and so the conditions of them are pretty poor with lots of portholes making it slow going.”

Considering that over 200 new vehicles arrive into Kigali every month, most of them mini buses and a population of over 1 million people, the traffic is a nightmare!

 “On arrival into Kigali, I suddenly noticed that Glenn was no longer visible in my rear view mirrors so I did a quick double back. Sure enough, Glenn’s bike had died, right in the thick of the traffic and there he was pushing it onto the pavement. I am sure that all 1 million local residents arrived to see what we were doing and we were swamped. I then noticed a coffin factory behind a billboard and so we took both bikes across there – rather apt given the sudden death of Glenn bike.  Glenn said he had checked the fuse so we proceeded to strip the bike completely, only to discover that it was… a fuse….

Glenn was saved by me losing mine when a mother of about 20 children sold us a delicious paw paw, which went down a treat.

We finally got back on the road and found a quiet area of town called Kibagabaga, and a motel called the Via Via, just a stones throw away from the ever vibrant Kimironko market.”

This massive market is the busiest market in town and well worth a visit. It has everything from vibrant Kitenge fabrics, to fish and meat markets. The fresh produce section has fresh vegetables from zucchini to carrots and potatoes stacked high, along with all types of fruit including tree tomatoes and juicy mangoes.

“On the top of our priority list was to get our spares from DHL so we put in a call, only to discover that the spares had STILL not been released from customs in Lusaka and sadly our contact there had dropped the ball badly. On the upside, Glenn’s parts had arrived so off we went to collect them.  

Heading back we discovered this awesome restaurant called Pile-Pile just down from our Motel. This vibrant spot with its hot chilli logo is a must. We had a solid meal.

Early next morning we cleaned the motorcycles and Glenn fitted the bike with the new spares, and voila, his bike was charging the battery again. No more swapping batteries every few hours. Then it was decision time. We pondered the issue of the spares and the fact that Glenn had to head back to South Africa soon so we decided that as my bike parts had not yet left Lusaka that we would have then routed to Uganda instead.

But not to waste time, while Glenn was busy with his bike I went off to the Egyptian embassy and managed to get my visa! If only all embassies had beautiful and efficient staff. I even left my phone there and they managed to track me down and told me they had it! So tomorrow we will head to Uganda”. As Glenn said, “onward and upward…”

Previous Post Next Post

Post by Debra Bouwer


  1. Pingback: WILD AFRICAN QUEST – 9 | Nomadic Adventures's Blog

  2. Pingback: WILD AFRICAN QUEST – 11 | Nomadic Adventures's Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s